Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Party for the Potter

Harry Potter is a part of me.  And I am not ashamed. Since the first chapter I was introduced to in the summer of 2000 on a road trip to New York, I have been hooked. I couldn't even begin to explain...there would be no way to put into words the place that Harry Potter has in my life.
That being said - the movies aren't always a delight. The books, of-course, are flawless (for me) but in all honesty, some of the movies suck.  I have a friend who after the third movie refused to watch any more of them. And I don't blame her (though I tried to convince her otherwise at the time). The first two were SO good and I felt that they really captured the spirit of the books. Chris Columbus did a great job. But then enter: Alfonso Cuaron. I don't know who hired him, but I want to slap them for hiring him. The third movie was awful. As a movie in and of itself, completely separate from the book - it STILL sucked. I have heard some people say (2, actually) that this was their favorite one and I think they're crazy. No offense. I understand that changes have to be made to a story when you morph it from words on a page to moving pictures on screen, but REALLY?? Really? You don't have to murder it. Don't make people act untrue to their character. Ugh. So, this man directed the third movie and was part way through the fourth movie when the third one hit the theaters and they fired him.
THANK YOU! Apparently someone somewhere in the world of common sense and reality saw what crap he was and sacked him.
So - then we're back on track, right? Well, no. While he wasn't anywhere near the atrocity that Cuaron was, Mike Newell didn't do a whole lot to redeem the Potter movie world. I was so mad when Dumbledore yelled at Harry. I mean, have you read the books? And Hermione - get a grip!  You don't sit on the stairs crying your eyes out. By this point, I was pretty disappointed. You're 2 for 2, Hollywood. Best thing I have to say, though: THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR FINALLY HIRING A BRITISH DIRECTOR!!! As much as I love America...and as much as I love American films, Americans aren't British. And Harry Potter is British. Americans don't get it - we're born, raised and grown differently over here, and it takes a Brit to make a British film. Have you seen The King's Speech? Can you IMAGINE if an American had made that movie??? Ugh.
Anyway. Back on track.
Then there's the fifth movie. My least favorite book, just so you know. But finally, thank you, finally, they have started to come back on track. They haven't come back all the way yet, but they're starting to come around. In comes David Yates - I want to kiss his mother for encouraging him to go into directing. But for some reason, they brought in a different screenwriter for this one...which I think is the reason why it wasn't amazing.  I mean, why would you get rid of Steve Kloves? It wasn't his fault the last two sucked. But the scene in the Ministry with the OotP and the Death Eaters fighting and Sirius falls through the archway - nothing short of brilliant. I hated who I was supposed to hate and I loved who I was supposed to love, and I wanted to smack Harry in the face, which is how I was supposed to feel. There were changes, of-course, but I was okay with them. You know, since I'm the one that the filmmakers have to get to approve their movies *cough*
Then...movie six...yes sir. You. Have. Redeemed. Yourself. I wasn't so sure I enjoyed Michael Gambon's Dumbledore, but that scene in the cave was amazing - he just emitted powerful wizard-ness. Even with drinking from the basin - which is what made him amazing. I wasn't so sure about the whole Harry & Ginny in the Room of Requirement thing... but other than that, I was a fan. Yes, again, it wasn't identical to the book, but you can't possibly have a clone for a movie, it just wouldn't work. The point is to tell the same story (who cares if her dress is pink instead of blue!) not have a reading of the book on screen. And thank you so much for bringing Kloves back into the process!
So, that brings us to November 18, 2010. The day the 7th movie came out. I haven't watched a preview of the movie before it came out since the third one (I don't want to see potential things that will make me not excited for the movie), and this time wasn't any different. However, I did accidentally see a flash of Dobby while fast forwarding through it once and it made me sad because I knew they were going to have him in there and I was going to have to watch what happens to him. You have no idea how funny I look running out of a theater with my hands over my ears so I don't even hear the preview. But anyway....
The Harry Potter Party.
I've never had one before, even though I always go to the premier. And I decided to go all out. Well, I tried to, at least.
I made wands:

Pita was my buddy the whole time.

And money:
(I only made Galleons and Sickles)
I had wooden galleons too, I'm bummed I didn't get a picture of them as well. Did you know that little wooden disks are, um, expensive when you buy a ton of them?

You entered through Platform 9 3/4:
(Pardon the fuzziness)


And then take a stop at Gringotts:
I just realized that this is misspelled.
And then into the Common Room:
Where we are watching Harry Potter 6. I think this was only the second time anyone had seen this film...the first for everyone being in the theater.



Grab a wand and a cape/robe/thing: (1 Galleon a piece):
Yes, some broke. Possibly all of them. It made me sad.
Don't forget to notice the flue powder:
And then...on to the food!

Butterbeer. Pumpkin Pasties. A Snitch Cake. Mulled Cider.



Complete with the 4 House colors.
Sad:
So then...off to the movie!
Tonks & Lupin

Ellen, Matt, Sara, Cody, Brandon & Me


I almost don't want to post this because I look like such a loser, but I have to. It's pretty awesome. The news was out, and since we were dressed up, we were on the 11 o'clock news!

 

Yup, I'm such a geek!!! I totally corrected Brandon on television. *sigh* I guess I was just being true to myself.
Cake is just as good the day after!
So...that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.
I would give a review...you know, I am going to give a review of the movie. It was great. There were differences, yeah, but like I said, that doesn't matter when you keep the spirit of the story. I do have to say that the whole CGI Hermione and Ron making out thing was a little weird. But they knocked this one out of the park! The whole feel of the movie was just like to book for me.
LOVED it! Can't wait until July 15!

More Photos: Autumn 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...